Sunday, July 15, 2007

White Stripes In Iqaluit






A few people have shown an interest in the White Stripes (currently the most relevant Canadian band) in Iqaluit. While I'm more than a little late, you've finally got details!

Doors opened at 7:00, so we lined up at 6. When we got there, there were about 10 teenagers in front of us, and then more teens quickly lined up behind. We were the oldest people in the first 50 people or so for sure. Debbie and I kept joking that we couldn't wait to see Whitesnake and if they didn't play "Here I Go Again" we were going to be so disappointed. Needless to say, they didn't get it.

When the doors finally opened, we quickly darted to the front and were as close as we could possibly get (and with our ears safely pressed up against the speakers). We waited through the opening act, Lucy Idlout, who started off strong but let's face it, we were only politely waiting for the White Stripes. Anyway, about 30 minutes after she had gotten off and a new stage was set up, Jack and Meg came out...

They tore into Icky Thump, a few others, and then played Jolene. I have a live version of them doing that cover at Red Rocks, and desperately wanted to hear it, so I was more than impressed. They sound amazing live, great sound, a lot of improvising on Jack's part, and a very odd dynamic between the two. It should be said, it's pretty clear that Jack is boss. He was constantly giving her instructions (holding up a finger indicating she needed to do it a little quieter, grabbing her cymbals when he wanted her to stop, and so forth). I thought it was part of the show, and maybe it still was, but when she messed up on the keyboards once, he shot her a NASTY look that seemed a little too real. However, they put the tension to good use and I think he was subtly sucking up after that- "You guys have been real good to Meg- You've made her happy, and that makes me happy." Speaking of Meg, I know she gets a lot of slack for her drumming but she had a couple fantastic moments last night. Plus she sang, "In The Cold, Cold Night" so I was pleased.

Other musical highlights-
From Icky Thump:
-300 M.P.H. Torrential Outpour Blues
- Rag & Bone
- Catch Hell Blues
- Conquest
- Effect & Cause

From Get Behind Me Satan:
- Denial Twist
- Blue Orchid
- Take, Take, Take
(but surprisingly no Doorbell)

From Elephant
- Hypnotize
- Hardest Button To Button
- The Air near My Fingers
- Ball and Biscuit

and of course, Seven Nation Army (this was a part of the encore- I don't think they would have gotten out alive without doing that one)

They also took Fell In Love With a Girl as a request from Debbie; I learned that if I point at a rockstar he'll point right back; up close that red t-shirt is slightly off-colour from his pants (Jack hasn't heard of colour-safe detergent, I guess);rock shows make me feel like I'm 20 again; and I should always accompany my wife after a show. She never goes to a concert without meeting the band. I don't know how she pulls it off. Don't get me wrong, she's not a plaster caster or anything, but she has an uncanny knack of knowing which exit they'll leave from- plus she's not shy about doing the whole autograph & picture thing. Anyway, we waited around after the show for about half an hour, when I decided it was time to go and relieve the babysitter. I knew of course that she'd be meeting them and I wouldn't, and sure enough she showed up half an hour behind me with pictures of her and the White Stripes and an autographed copy of Get Behind Me Satan. When I left initially I thought, I don't need to meet celebrities- it's not like you get a chance for any enlightening conversation- but I have to admit, seeing the pictures made me regret not sticking around. Anyway, I'm glad she got to, and regardless, the show was absolutely incredible. They've probably got a few fans for life.

Oh, and apparently Jack and Meg ate raw caribou with the local elders that day. And at the concert they were wearing polar bear tooth pendants. Enjoy the pics!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • You had me at:
    Don't get me wrong, she's not a plaster caster or anything...

    Okay, you had me before that but I may have snorted there. Sounds like an excellent time John.

    By Blogger Dale, at 10:24 PM  

  • Lots of YouTube videos of Jack and Meg in Iqaluit found right here.

    Also, the video for You Don't Know What Love Is, You Just Do What You're Told will be premiered on Monday. It was shot right here in Iqaluit...

    By Blogger John Mutford, at 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home