Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Shot, Tagged and Released...

I've decided to use this blog as my tagged blog. It's not currently being used for anything else, so it's as good a place as any...

Tagging me this time around are Sam and Gentle Reader (who'll both be sorely disappointed that I'm not nearly as interesting as the tabloids seem to suggest).

The idea for this one is:

1: Each player starts with 8 random facts/habits about themselves.
2: People who are tagged, write a blog post about their own 8 random things, and post these rules.
3: At the end of your post you need to tag 8 people and include their names.
4: Don't forget to leave them a comment and tell them they're tagged, and to read your blog.


So here goes nothing:

1. Despite being Canadian, I'm not into hockey. I can respect the sport, I've just never been inclined to play or watch any more than the last 10 minutes of a game. When I meet hockey fans, I'll usually break the ice (tee hee) by telling them that I'm a first cousin of Gary Roberts of the Pittsburgh Penguins. They usually ask a lot of questions, I feel silly answering them and wish I hadn't brought it up. He is a nice guy though.

2. I'm 30 years old and since I've been born, I've never had anyone in my family die. Not a grandparent, an uncle, aunt, cousin, no one. Might sound like a morbid thing to throw out there, but it sits in my mind more and more. I wonder if I'll deal with it okay. It will happen someday of course and it scares me a lot. It's starting to feel like we're defeating the law of averages. And I hope this doesn't jinx us all.

3. I've been licked by a wild polar bear. In Churchill, Manitoba my wife and I took a Tundra Buggy tour and we were licked through the mesh floor of an observation deck. (Sorry if some of you are sick of this story!)

4. I'm psyched to see the White Stripes in Iqaluit. It blows me away that they're coming here. I've been a fan for a while, but seeing them in Nunavut just makes the experience all the more cooler (tee hee).

5. I can never remember shampooing in the shower. I suspect that I end up doing it 3 or 5 times just to make sure. Or not at all.

6. I've only been out of the country three times. 1. Jamaica. 2. Hawaii 3. California. I desperately want to see Mutford, England. Until the Internet I had no idea such a place existed. But I hear they have a pretty decent marina and that's why I want to go.

7. I make jokes to mask my pain.

8. Just kidding.

7. My middle name is Kendall.

8. I was once paid to write a children's novel. I wrote three chapters, the contract ended, and I haven't looked at it since. It was about Martin Frobisher and I worked on it while I was still living in St. John's. Iqaluit if you don't know, used to be known as Frobisher Bay. Who knew?

Now the not-so-fun part:

I tag...
1. Steve
2. Shannon
3. Christina

(These are family, and they are not allowed to use Gary. I've already done that. Pbllttt!)

4. Barbara
5. Allison
6. Dale
7. Rebecca
8. Jamie Lee Curtis

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • # 2 freaks me out as well. On Dads side there have been a few deaths (Nan, Pop, Jerry) but on Mom's side... none! I have always said that when it "rains" its going to "pour". Which really sucks and I hope it doesn't happen. I guess we should feel blessed to have everyone so healthy!

    Shannon

    PS. No fair on the Gary thing... I wanted that one!

    By Blogger Shannon, at 1:28 PM  

  • This is awesome, John, thanks. Until today, I had no idea how to spell Pbllttt.

    By Blogger Christina, at 2:11 PM  

  • Shannon, Both sides of my family has avoided it, the Kendalls and the Mutfords. The Mutford side is more astonishing because of how many of us there are. The only ones I can think of that have passed away are, at the very nearest, great aunts/uncles.

    Christina, Don't thank me. I think I learned it from Peanuts comics or something.

    By Blogger John Mutford, at 6:31 PM  

  • This list, specifically #2, was obviously written before my grandmother started having her heart problems.

    By Blogger John Mutford, at 8:26 AM  

  • Since writing this one, I have had a grandmother pass away and right now I have an aunt who isn't expected to survive the week. What a difference a year has made. I've dealt with it, but wish I didn't have to.

    By Blogger John Mutford, at 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home